Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Fulci made a barbarian movie


I vaguely remember seeing this at a video store, way back when I was a wee lad. The kind of video store that had a box on the shelf, with little aluminum tags dangling beneath for VHS and Beta. Loads of movies had fantastic covers like this, only to give none of what was promised in the art.

Not so with this one. This really has a lady with a metal face, dressed only in snakes and a loincloth. There is a metal plated demon, and the barbarian protagonist fights with bone nunchucks.

I'd be lying if I said it was a good movie. It's totally not, or you would have seen it. It does have plenty of awesome things about it. Dog men tear a quarter a naked girl, then drag her head back to their master. Old men get their brains bashed in. The hero has a bow that shoots lasers. The villainess cooks an underling on a hot stone. Bog mummies, spiderweb shrouded stone men, Dog men, devils, bats, cavemen, and a golem demon.

It's got a misty dreamlike quality that I liked, but could see would be annoying for some. Sort of like Excalibur, or dream sequences.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I kind of liked it, but I like weird movies anyway. I reviewed it a few weeks ago. It does pack in a lot of monsters. There is an earnestness about Fulci even in his crummier movies (Contraband has a sweet shoot out but it is a grind to wade through the first hour and half).