Thursday, December 13, 2007

Savage Worlds



I just picked up a copy of savage worlds yesterday, and man was that a good buy. Biggest problem I have had with generic systems, is that they are pretty flavorless. Take GURPS as an example. Absolutely no flavor, as evidenced by this illustration on the left.

Water flavor, just add flavor packet and sugar for yummy drink.

On the right, is a similar illustration from Savage Worlds, but this one says "All flavors! Tastes you have not even thought of!" Kinda like a bag of Jelly Belly jelly beans.

Plus the rules system seems to rock, that helps.

5 comments:

Infamous Jum said...

I have a hard time swallowing generic rules, in general. Rules need to have flavor in and of themselves, sez I. That Savage Worlds looks awesome, but you missed the best part; it costs $10. In a world of $40 hardcover madness, a $10 rule book is as refreshing as a cold beer on a hot day.

skeleri said...

Even back in the mythic day, the slimmest of core books cost more than that. Teenage mutant ninja turtles used to go for 11.95. Well, the batman rpg went for 9.95, but that book was such a bundle of monkey poo they couldn't give it away.

Infamous Jum said...

Are you as flustered as I am about the pricing structure many companies use for PDF products? For example, there is virtually no difference in price between a print and PDF version of a WoTC book. What the hell!? We're told that the reason for increasing more expensive books is the rising cost of printing, so how does cutting out the major cost NOT reduce the price?

skeleri said...

Hrrm, that is troubling. I haven't looked into buying any new books on pdf. I just recently started buying rare and weird older things, like the judges guild stuff off of RPGNOW. You can get stuff like that for two or three bucks. Awesome.

Infamous Jum said...

Older stuff, you can keep dirt cheap. Anything new, its a different story. As I said, WoTC stuff is the same on pdf as it is in print. From Paizo, a $13 module is $8, still stings a little (but, if you subscribe you get the pdf for free, so they still rock in my book). I recently bought Advanced Bestiary from Green Ronin, and I was curious as the cost of the pdf. $37 hardcover, $18 pdf. I guess its a matter of "what the market will bear" but still, ouch.